Historical Geography of a New England Village (Francestown, NH): 2 of 8
From Gary Robert Schnakenberg on April 17th, 2020
From the first settlements in the 1760s through the town's incorporation in 1772, Francestown was marked by small scattered settlements here and there, especially around running water where mills could be established. However, the completion of the 2nd NH Turnpike in 1801 brought traffic right up through the geographic center of the town, connecting the southern tier of the state to the 'Upper Valley' of the Connecticut River and places like Hanover, Lebanon, and White River Junction, VT. As a result, the town took on a more clustered appearance as homes and businesses were built along the turnpike's path, which became Main Street of a proper village. The Old Meeting House was built in 1801.