Historical Geography of a New England Village (Francestown, NH): 1 of 8
From Gary Robert Schnakenberg on April 17th, 2020
Dr. Gary takes you on a tour of the historical geography of a New England Village: Francestown, NH, founded in 1760 and incorporated in 1772. This segment shows the sole reason for the clustered nature of the current 'village' part of the town: the 2nd New Hampshire Turnpike, chartered in 1799 and completed in 1801. Where we start was part of the 'New Boston Addition' that was hived off from the neighboring town of New Boston, and attached to land owned by a group of British investors to the west, which formed the town of Francestown. Its name is a story of its own! Sir John Wentworth was named British colonial governor in 1766. A young woman named Frances Deering Atkinson had fallen in love with him years before; he was however busy with colonial duties and she married someone else in 1762, settling in Portsmouth, NH. In 1769, her husband died after an illness, and she married Wentworth just a WEEK after his burial! The towns of Francestown and its neighbor to the north, Deering, are both named after her.